National Creamsicle Day is celebrated annually on August 14. This is a day to enjoy this refreshing summertime orange and vanilla treat.
“Creamsicle” is a brand name of an ice cream consisting of vanilla ice cream on a Popsicle stick coated with flavored orange ice.
The following is a Betty Crocker recipe for Creamy Orange Sherbet Cupcakes:
• Prep Time 25min
• Total Time2 hr
1 box golden vanilla cake mix
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 quart orange sherbet, softened
1 container vanilla frosting
Quartered orange slices for garnish
1. Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pan). Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
2. In large bowl, beat cake mix, orange juice, oil and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, then on medium speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon batter into each muffin cup; filling slightly less than 1/4 full (you will not use all of the batter).
3. Bake about 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from muffin cups to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 25 minutes.
4. Scoop and spread 2 to 3 tablespoons sherbet onto top of each cooled cupcake. Return cupcakes to muffin cups (or place on cookie sheet with sides). Freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
5. Remove cupcakes from freezer. Pipe vanilla frosting onto sherbet-topped cupcakes. Garnish each with orange quarter. If necessary, return to freezer to firm up. Serve cold.