Last week, I shared a Romany (Gypsy) recipe that my hero, Luca, may have enjoyed in Regency England, a roasted hedgehog.
Today I’m sharing a Honey Cake Recipe. In my Regency Historical Romance, Seeking Patience, Lady Patience Blakwell, the heroine, serves “honey cakes and tea for a light midday meal.”
This is a simple recipe, and most ingredients you may already have on hand:
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1 cup honey
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 4 eggs
• 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
• 1 cup orange juice
• 2 1/2 cups flour
• 3 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• pinch of salt
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Grease and flour a 9×13 inch pan.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. Mix sugar, honey, oil, eggs and orange zest. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the orange juice. Pour batter into prepared pan.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes. Cool and serve.
Enjoy and serve with a cuppa hot tea!
Author Josie Riviera writes Historical, Inspirational, and Sweet Romances. She lives in the Charlotte, NC, area with her wonderfully supportive husband of 40 years. They share their empty nest with an adorable Shih Tzu who constantly needs grooming and an old house forever needing renovations.
Sign up for her newsletter at josieriviera.com for a free ebook!
And don’t forget! Seeking Patience is available at all retailers!